This gin is distilled in Priorat, and around one hour away from Barcelona its savoured. The Priorat is famous for its complex and powerful wines. On their website, they claim that “The very essence, the fifth-essence, of the Cariñena and Grenache grapes is extracted by our magnificent copper four-plate Arnold Holstein distillation column. This is only done with time, effort, craftsmanship, and utmost respect from the wine lees of the top DOQ Priorat and DO Montsant wines we work with. Anything less will not do.”. Wow!
By drinking this unique gin you can relive and feel the lifestyle of Barcelona!
The botanicals, of course all local, include:
- juniper berries
- pine shoots
- and especially figs.
I bet you are with me if I say that such a special Gin needs a truly special Gin & Tonic composition, right? So here is what you need for a Gin & Tonic Perfecto:
- Balloon type glass
- 30 ml of BCN GIN (this small measure is enough for this intense flavoured Gin to balance with tonic)
- 200 ml of the finest chilled organic tonic water
- 20 ml of red wine (preferably of the red grenache or carignan variety from the DOQ Priorat wine region).
- Fresh green lime
- Blue grapes
- Loads of big ice cubes
- Cocktail strainer
- Long twisted spoon
And this is how it is done:
- Fill the balloon glass with big ice cubes
- Add a bit of red wine and swirl the glass, make sure the glass is well chilled.
- Pour the red wine away, leaving just a tiny bit of wine in the glass (it is mainly used to give the g & t it’s colour)
- Add a slice of lime
- Add one or two grape(s)
- Twist a lime peel above the glass
- Run the lime twist quickly along the lip of the glass before garnishing
- Pour the BCN Gin over the ice cubes (make sure that the glass is full of ice. If not so, add some more cubes first)
- Pour dry tonic water slowly down a twisted spoon
- Stir for a few seconds with the spoon and enjoy a Gin & Tonic Perfecto!
I learned this yesterday at Gin & Rum Festival Lucerne. Of course I got a perfect BCN Gin & Tonic there! Like mentioned above, your mind constantly receives the spirit of Barcelona with every sip taken. It comes in small waves. I just can say: “Well done BCN Gin!”
The recipe is taken from BCNGin (bcngin.com)