Brace yourself: Autumn is coming! Yes, in meteorological terms it has already started on September 1, but in astronomical terms it starts September 21.
Nevertheless, you obviously can find fresh plums in grocery stores. Since we bought hell too much of them we could not eat them all. And we did not want to let them rot. So what to do with it? Sure! Make an easy but great autumn dessert.
Of course you can make vanilla ice cream by yourself, but the easier way is to buy the one you like most directly in store. For the plum compote you need…
- 1 kg of fresh plums
- 100 g sugar (less or more depends on your taste and the sweetness of the plums)
- 2 sachets of vanilla sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (powder)
- 2 dl of red wine
- 3dl of water
- a shot (2cl) of Grappa
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
How to do it
As initially said: “The recipe is very easy to do!”. Here we go:
- wash the fresh plums and remove the pits
- put the plums into a large pan and add the other ingredients except the Grappa
- mix it all together
- let the mixture rest for an hour
- heat it up and let it cook for about 5 minutes
- Remove the heat and add the Grappa to spice things up 🙂
- Now you have several options, like:
- take the vanilla ice cream now out of the freezer and add the warm compote to it
- wait one day, heat the compote up again and add the vanilla ice cream
- put them into preserving jars to eat it later. You can keep it for a year.
- That was all the magic
In my opinion, the compote tastes best after 1 day after re-heating, so you can easily prepare it a day before your guests arrive.
Try it out and comment here your favorites or personal tips.